Last year, we collected a few citizens' perspectives on certain issues related to Urban Sustainability. These included Housing, Transport, Governance or Peoples Participation, Heritage (both Cultural and Natural), Waste management and Air pollution, Disaster Risk Assessment and Green Open Spaces. For relating it to a broader vision, we used the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) framework especially the SDG 11 which deals with making cities and settlements sustainable. We compiled all citizens inputs and formed the Citizens Charter for Sustainable Pune. In our event on Citizens Charter and Action Agenda for Sustainable Pune we shared the same document with all of you. On analyzing all the Citizen inputs, we realized that if these inputs are put up as actionable points it will be a good guideline to follow by all.
Previous blogs focused on Housing, Transport, Participatory planning and Management, Cultural & Natural Heritage and Disaster Prepardness for all, Environmental management for all under SDG 11. The last target under SDG 11 is about access to open spaces that are green, safe and inclusive.
- Let’s use our public spaces in a responsible manner by not littering or spitting in such space.
- Let’s preserve and conserve our green open spaces like rivers, gardens and parks as well in a responsible manner.
- Let’s advocate for safe public spaces for all.
- Let’s work with the governing authorities in maintaining these spaces since community ownership comes with community participation.
- Let’s advocate for an inclusively designed open space.
- Let’s keep a watch that no illegal or criminal activities are happening in these spaces that harm the peace in the city, check the feasibility of working with the governing authorities for volunteering for such purposes.
- Let’s advocate for better sanitation facilities in public spaces.
- Let’s check the feasibility of using these spaces in a creative manner which enhances the social and cultural gathering that reduce the gap between different sections of the society.
- Ensure that public spaces are designed in an inclusive manner considering a holistic approach.
- Explore the feasibility of maintaining cleanliness, through signages and instructions for people in order to maintain the spaces.
- In case of any garden or green area that needs to be created into a public space care should be taken to keep them as natural as possible instead of adding a lot of paving or concrete in these areas.
- Strict enforcement and penalties should be levied on illegal or criminal activities noticed in any public space.
- The fees if any for accessing the public spaces should be affordable to all sections of the society.
- Riverbed areas, hill slopes or hill tops accessed by people should be demarcated as green areas and no construction zones in the Development Plan.
- Ensure that any green public space should promote biodiversity conservation and should be maintained accordingly.